December 16-17 will be a weekend to celebrate downtown Syracuse during the holidays as the City of Syracuse, the Downtown Committee, Advance Media New York and a host of business owners join forces to showcase downtown Syracuse during the holidays.
Holidays in the City will pull together the many holiday events that are happening that weekend – and offer a trolley service to connect them. There will be a host of festive activities including:
– Carolers and holiday characters performing at various street corners
– Live reindeer with Santa’s sleigh for the perfect photo opportunity
– Choirs performing in Hanover Square
– A Smart Santa experience for parents and children
Trolleys will pull together holiday experiences around downtown Syracuse:
– Holiday Window Walk – A guided map to see the windows entered in the Downtown Committee’s Window Decorating Contest
– Street vendors selling hot soups and roasted chestnuts
– Santa Claus skating at the Clinton Square ice rink
– Gingerbread House exhibit at the Erie Canal Museum
– A free holiday movie at the Landmark Theatre
– Events and activities on every floor at the Onondaga County Public Library in the Galleries – storytelling, crafts, hot chocolate and more
– And so much more.
“We want to create a Norman Rockwell holiday experience for Syracuse,” said Tim Kennedy, President of Advance Media New York. “Downtown is a wonderful place to be during the holidays. Our role is to pull downtown stakeholders and residents together to showcase our community,” he said.
“Downtown brings the magic of the season to life,” said Merike Treier, executive director of the Downtown Committee of Syracuse. “We’re excited to partner with Advance Media NY to introduce a special weekend this season that we hope starts new traditions for families across Central New York.”
The trolley shuttle will stop at various downtown attractions – from Hanover Square, the Erie Canal Museum, the Onondaga Historical Association, the Marriot Syracuse Downtown to Armory Square. Walking to each attraction is also encouraged as pedestrians can enjoy the Holiday Window Walk and the various specials many of the bars and restaurants and shops are offering for the holidays.
For a full schedule of times, events, shuttle routes and specials visit www.holidaysinsyr.com
For more information contact: Katie Wegerski, Events Coordinator at Advance Media New York (315) 314-1530. Or [email protected]